Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Surviving Malaysia's Rainforest



Surviving The Equatorial Rainforest of Malaysia - for the Ordinary People.

About Me




This book Is written based on my experience in the Malaysian Equatorial Rainforest of Malaysia, what I feel is most practical from my practices and knowledge I have gathered during my hiking and exploration. Other experts might disagree or pratice differently.

INTRODUCTION
Hi, call me Tokwan, which simply means Gramps.
I love the forest, especially the Equatorial Rainforest.
It is my most beautiful, natural peaceful place on earth!
It is nature, the most beautiful part of the earth which
Godbestowed on to us.I am a self-taught survivalist.

When I was a young boy, my two big                                 
brothers who were in the Royal Malay Regiment of the
Malaysian Army, during their leave, would bring me back some army items that I use for camping. It was then I started to learn about the jungle. I was in my early teens, back in the early 70’s. I soon fell in love with the jungle.

I remember the heavy old army poncho, the army officers’ bed, its poles and stands from the thin aluminum. Its bed from the thick old tarpaulin material. They always reminded me to sleep off the ground. This was when I learned to make fire with the hexamine tablets or solid fuel as we now call them. Yes they have those foldable solid fuel stoves. They look the same today as they did back then. Those stoves were much sturdier then. Cooking in the mess tins and drinking coffee from the aluminum canteen cup were something I enjoyed ‘till this day and I still use them!

It was in 1979, when I joined the Royal Malaysian Police and underwent the Police Field Force Training. This was during the existence of communist threats and at that time, Malaysia was still combating the Communist Party of Malaya (CPM). It was nostalgia to me. I found that I used the same type of mess tins, canteen, cup, stove and fuel I used when I was a young teen. My time with the Police Field Force gave me great knowledge on the Equatorial Rainforest of Malaysia. I became more fascinated with the Rainforest, and whenever I have a chance, I would just get myself “lost” in the jungle, to enjoy its tranquility and serenity.

It was after I left the Police Force that I made more trips to the jungle. I embarked on short solo trips and soon enhanced my survival knowledge by trial and error, experimenting and researching the best way for me to do things.  Initially, experimenting with the simplest items that I can put in my Survival Kit. Equipment was key to me at
that time. Then I turn to knowledge and techniques. I was on a quest to know what I can do better, the way I am comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment