Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Making Cotton Balls Tinder/Fire Starter

Surviving The Equatorial Rainforest of Malaysia - for the Ordinary People.

Today I have decided to come up with 2 very short videos oh how to make petroleum jelly impregnated cotton balls tinder/fire starters.

These tinder/fire starters are my "go to" tinder/fire starters when I need to start or make a fire in survival mode. 

Even though I live on the Equator, where it's hot, getting a really dry tinder immediately can be a real problem due to the humidity in the air and the frequent raining spells.  The rain forest has quite a thick foliage, thus not much sun light go through the canopy of leaves. This causes the forest floor to be damp or wet always and without artificial tinder that is able to give a good hot burn, you might not have fire for the first night or as long as it rains. This is the reason why I opted for such tinder. I also carry rubber bicycle tubes, cut in small lengths so that it can also enhance the fire starter longevity. 

Here is what you would need:
1. A container to store/stuff the cotton balls in.
2. 100% pure cotton balls
3. 100% petroleum jelly. (I use Vaseline).
4. Ice cream stick or an alternative - used to smear petroleum jelly on the cotton balls.
Optional
5. Glove - if you do not want to get your hands messy.
6. Large plastic straws if you want to stuff the cotton balls into them.
7. A needle nose plies to crimp the plastic straws.
8. A lighter or a heat source to seal the straw ends. 
Do give me feedback by leaving your comments. By the way, in the video, I speak both Malay and English. 
The videos:














No comments:

Post a Comment